I love recommending dry skin brushing to my clients for many reasons. Not only is it a great way to improve the look and health of your skin, but it actually acts as a “magic detox scrub”, if you will, for eliminating your bodies impurities from many of your organs. This is also a great trick for anyone looking to do a bit of a cleanse.
What did you put into your body this week? This month? This year? Really think about it.
If you’re like the majority of us – you probably didn’t always eat or drink perfectly pure, and you most likely used one or more beauty/cleanly products that are usually full of different chemicals.
Don’t worry, you’re not alone! This is our world. And it’s pretty much near impossible to avoid the pollutions of our environment. As sad as it is, even the water we bathe in has chemicals in it.
And as for that extra-large triple-shot latte you had this morning (while it probably made you feel like you were on top of the world for a few hours) is likely making you feel anxious, jittery, and now you’re experiencing a mid-day crash. Ahh.. caffeine. So good but so… well, you know, bad.
As much as we have and love our vices, we do need to recognize that we are constantly putting toxic substances into our bodies on a daily basis. Not only that, but our environment is also full of harmful toxins that you may not even know you’ve come in contact with.
So, what can you incorporate into your daily routine that will help get rid of and detox those dirty impurities out of your body so that you aren’t always in toxic overload? Lucky for you, I’m about to explain one of the easiest and most effective ways to scrub away these toxins so you can actually enjoy your vices and not feel so bad about it!
How The Skin Works For You
The major routes of elimination include the colon, the kidneys, the lungs, the voice, menses, and (of course) the skin. The largest elimination organ is your skin, which is also the overflow route for other routes of elimination if they are overloaded.
Up to one third of all bodies impurities are excreted through the skin, which means hundreds of thousands of tiny pores and sweat glands act to detoxify and excrete toxins and waste products.
Your body actually breathes through the skin, absorbing oxygen and exhaling carbon dioxide that is formed in tissues. Certain nutrients are also absorbed through the skin, and vitamin D is manufactured directly on the skin by the influence of sunlight.
If the pores become choked with dead cells and debris, the skin becomes inactive, the functions of the skin are ineffective and impurities remain in the body which can then contribute to degenerative diseases.
Slathering on moisturizers and deodorants and wearing artificial fibres only make things worse.
Dry brushing is a way to stimulate all the organs of detoxification and elimination because it provides a gentle internal massage to get things moving!
So, What are the Benefits of Skin Brushing?
- It effectively removes dead layers of skin and other impurities.
- Keeps pores open and functioning.
- Stimulates and increases blood circulation in all underlying organs and tissues, especially small blood capillaries.
- Revitalizes and increases the eliminative capacity of your skin and helps to throw toxins out of the system.
- Removes cellulite and tightens the skin thus preventing premature aging.
- Cleanses and strengthens the lymphatic system.
- Stimulates the hormone and oil producing glands, keeping your skin looking and feeling young, smooth, and strong.
- Has a powerful rejuvenating influence on the nervous system by stimulating nerve endings in the skin.
- It helps prevent colds, especially when used in combination with hot-cold showers.
- Contributes to healthier muscle tone and better distribution of fat deposits and with continued use it breaks down the cellulite.
- Improves your overall health, preventing premature aging.
How to Do Skin Brushing
Think back to your parents or grandparents showers. Can you picture that long wooden handle with a big, almost loofa type, looking brush at the end? That’s what a dry skin brush looks like.
You can find dry skin brushes online, at health food stores like Nature’s Fare and Choices, or in the bath section of supermarkets. They are relatively inexpensive, usually under the $15.00 mark.
You want the brush to be a natural vegetable fibre bristle brush. It will feel a bit rough at first, but will, with time, the fibres will loosen up. The handle should be long enough so that you can reach all areas of your body.
- You will start dry brushing your dry and naked body before you shower or bathe so that you can wash off the impurities from the skin as a result from the brushing action.
- You can do the brushing head to toe, or toe to head. It doesn’t matter as long as the entire body is brushed.
- Start at one area of the body and work up or down in a circular motion towards the heart, and then repeat with the other side of the body.
Extra Tips for Skin Brushing
- Skin brushing should be performed once a day, preferably in the morning. A thorough brush takes about 10-15 minutes, but any time spent brushing prior to bathing will benefit the body.
- You can also dry brush the areas of cellulite 5-10 minutes twice a day to achieve the cellulite dissolving, but the technique needs to be done consistently for a minimum of five months.
- The scalp can be brushed too! Scalp brushing will stimulate hair growth by increasing blood circulation and keep the scalp from dandruff, stale oils, etc.
- Use light pressure in areas where skin is thin and harder pressure in places like the soles of the feet.
- If you are feeling ill, increasing the treatments to twice a day is good.
- Avoid brushing any skin that is irritated, damaged, infected, or if you are prone to easy bleeding.
Now that you know how to dry skin brush, you should know how to take care of your brush too!
Care for Your Skin Brush
Every two weeks or so – wash your dry skin brush with natural soap. Dry your brush in the sun or a warm place. Wash the brush regularly to keep impurities from clogging it up.
For hygienic reasons, use a separate brush for each family member.
So there you have it. A simply and easy way to help improve your daily health by brushing all those pesky toxins away! Get ready to see some serious invigorating glow in your skin, and an improvement in your health!